Thursday, January 29, 2009

Potty Training Adventures!!

I know what you are thinking, is she crazy?? Parley is only about 6 months now. That is what i would have said too, but here is the story. So about a month ago I was holding Parley in the rocking chair and realized that he was trying to poo. As i sat there thinking that I would need to change that when he was done, it all of the sudden occured to me that i didn't want to change a poopy diaper, go figure! So instead of waiting for him to poo, i went and put him on the toilet and he went in the toilet without any trouble. After that success i decided that everytime i noticed him trying to poop, i would do the same and save myself from a poopy mess. Then after a couple more times of catching him pooping and setting him on the toilet, i decided why wait until i catch him pooping. So then i started putting him on the toilet everytime I changed his diaper. I was amazed at the results. It kinda feels like an experiment!! :-) Anyway, so now it has been about a month and i haven't had any poopy diapers. He pees and poops in the toilet and I don't have to wait for a long time, he just goes when i put him on the toilet. If he doesn't have to go, then he wiggles himself off and will fuss a little. Then i just put him back in his diaper. I honestly think he is starting to hold it though. He still wets in his diaper, but he will go in the toilet as well. Also as a result I have been noticing more of what is going on with him and paying more attention to how often i take him potty. Not that i didn't pay attention before, but i didn't notice as much. So it is pretty cool and thought i would share this with all of you. It really hasn't been much work, in fact it has been less because i don't have to clean poopy diapers. I never thought that the elimination method or whatever it is called would work, but i guess that is kinda what i am doing. I have never read anything about it, so i am not sure. I have just been making it up as i go along. If it helps him to be potty trained a bit sooner, well then i guess it is worth it to me!! :-)

3 comments:

Melissa P said...

whoa thats really cool Ida! Im glad its working! and now that he's crawling, maybe he will crawl towards the toilet when he has to go!!!!!

Samara and Family said...

Way to go Ida!! Cool beans. Some more of those smart Peterson genes
;-)

Terry and Emalee said...

that is so awesome ida!!! like i said before i think that if you had waited a few more months to do this little experiment he would not have been such a willing participant, my kids had all started to get scared of the toilet at 9 or ten months and if they weren't already used to it they did not want to get used to it any time soon. :) I am gonna try it sooner with Joshua, like six months when I start on solid foods and see how he takes it.